Cleveland History Center
303 Broadway Street
2014 Season is Memorial Day through Labor Day weekend.
The History Center is open Saturday mornings from 9:00-11:00 a.m.
Open to the public during Cherry Creek Days on Saturday, June 14 from 1-5 p.m.
and while Cleveland hosts the Vietnam Moving Wall Thurs.-Sunday, July 25-27.
Open during monthly Cleveland Car Shows from 5-8 p.m. on Fridays, May 30, June 13 and 27, July 11 and 25, August 8 and 22, and September 13.
Open during Cleveland's community Christmas weekend.
History Center tours are also available by appointment.
Make arrangements for a visit by calling the Society at 507-267-4091.
Admission is free of charge, donations welcome.
The Cleveland History Center opened in 1977 in a location of historic significance to the community. The first structure on the land was built in 1876 and served the community as the post office, telephone company, a dry goods and hardware store. It also housed the city offices until May 27, 1906 when it burned to the ground, leaving Cleveland without a trace of village history. The new brick building that took its place eventually came to house the city's history in the same location it was lost 70 years earlier. The History Center collection includes school memorabilia, military history, vintage clothes and hats, history books and photos.
Another historic landmark is preserved across the street from the center - the Methodist Church built in 1869. Stained glass windows inside feature names of the pioneer church founders.